O projecto PalNiassa visa:
- Descobrir, estudar e publicar novos fósseis de Moçambique;
- Colaborar para melhorar as instalações museológicas em Moçambique, a fim de armazenar e exibir o material recolhido;
- Contribuir para a formação de novos cientistas e transferência de know-how entre os países envolvidos;
- Promover a divulgação da ciência e trabalhar com as comunidades para preservar o património paleontológico moçambicano.
Desde o início, todos os fósseis recolhidos no âmbito do projecto PalNiassa são património da República de Moçambique.
The PalNiassa Project is an international scientific programme involving institutions from Mozambique, Portugal and the United States of America aiming to discover, study and preserve the paleontological heritage on the Mozambican territory.
The previous scientific expeditions have been clearly successful and several complete skulls and skeletons from synapsids have been found, plus, new and unknown to the region groups of reptiles have been unearthed.
Our strong commitment is to intertwine Mozambican, Portuguese and American scientific communities in order to trigger research and increase dynamism in Mozambican academia, by means of an invaluably important, diverse and undiscovered fossil record.
There are countless geological formations to be explored, some of them have not been prospected for more than 40 years. Mozambique is among the few African countries with high paleontological potential.
The PalNiassa project aims to:
- Discover, study and publish new fossil material from Mozambique;
- Collaborate to improve the museological facilities in mozambique in order to store and display the material collected;
- Contribute to the formation of new scientists and know-how transference between the countries involved;
- Promote science outreach and work will the communities to preserve mozambican paleontological heritage.